Number 3 on my Top 20 Things to do in Colorado Springs list is to visit the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. There are many reasons I love this zoo, but the biggest reason is because you can feed the giraffes. Yup, you can freaking feed a giraffe at a zoo in Colorado Springs!
Seriously how awesome is that?!? I’ve always been a big time giraffe lover so when I found out that Colorado Springs had a zoo and you could feed the sweet giraffes I was seriously over-the-moon excited!
Giraffes, Mountains, and Blue Skies! I mean it can’t get much better than that!
I do have a few “Know before you go” tips to help you make the most of your giraffe feeding time! Check my insider tips out below!↓
- It’s $3 for one feeding or $5 for two feedings. Always pay the $5 and get two feedings. You’ll pay to feed the giraffes with cash in a little building right in front of the giraffes. So bring CASH! There is an ATM incase you forget. Also, don’t just assume feeding them once will be enough. I usually go through $10-$20 just myself. #noshame
- Stand facing away from the giraffes and take a piece of lettuce and put it near your face. Have someone snap your photo with the giraffes or take advantage of this ultimate selfie opportunity.
- It’s going to get slimy. Those giraffe tongues are extra long and extra slimy and you can’t avoid it, they will touch you!
- Make sure you use the hand sanitizer after you’re done. I suggest using it and then heading to a bathroom to wash your hands/arms off right away.
- Break the lettuce down into smaller pieces to get more time feeding those beautiful creatures.
- Don’t feed the giraffes anything beside the lettuce and keep anything edible out of their reach.
- If the giraffes aren’t outside, they’ll be inside their barn. You can still feed them there.
- All the giraffes might not be outside. Check out the barn and take some lettuce just incase.
- Feed the giraffes at the beginning and also at the end of your time at the zoo. Best way to start and finish at day at the zoo in my opinion.
So friends, what are you waiting for?!? Head to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and feed those giraffes today!
Not from the Colorado Springs area? Not convinced on visiting just because you can feed these beautiful creatures? Check out my Colorado Springs Bucket List NOW! I’m positive it will give you just the push you need to visit this beautiful city!